[Mageia-discuss] booting with two sata disks

bascule asura at theexcession.co.uk
Fri Dec 30 23:19:29 CET 2011

On Friday 30 December 2011 07:40:21 andre999 wrote:
> Try exchanging the cables for the drives.  The bios might be identifying
> the new drive as the first drive, but only if it is present.
> (It could be related to motherboard jumper settings, but exchanging the
> cables is an easier solution.)
i did try new cables but to reiterate, booting happens, but immediately you
see the on screen phrase concerning init 2.8 and udev starting it hangs saying
"could not start boot splash:no such file or directory",
i have a theory, because i was having some other problems at one time the
second hard drive was unattached at the time the kernel was upgraded, i'm
wondering if the mkinitrd that happens when  a new kernel is installed is to
blame because as i understand it the hang occurs when the ram image? hands
over to the root partition?, i shall uninstall the kernel update and reinstall
it with the second drive attached to see what happens

bascule
--
"...i just write poetry to throw my mean, callous, heartless exterior into
sharp relief!"