[Mageia-discuss] UEFI and Secure Boot

Goh Lip lipg at gmx.com
Tue Aug 21 15:42:01 CEST 2012

On 08/21/2012 07:50 PM, Maurice Batey wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 18:55:17 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>
>> I've recently bought an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX, which is a uefi
>> motherboard.
>>
>> Secure boot cannot be ENabled.
>
> Ditto recently a Samsung NC110 netbook, whose BIOS (American
> Megatrends Aptio)  settings include:
>
>     "UEFI Boot support:
>         'Enabled':  System boots Legacy OS and UEFI OS
>         'Disabled': System boots Legacy OS only"
>
> Make of that what you will!

Maurice, I think you know what this means, but just to be clear,
in the transition to UEFI, some motherboards (yours apparently) allow
the 'traditional' BIOS (hence disabled UEFI, not disabled 'secure boot')
to help users overcome the confusion.
But you *can* have UEFI enabled and still boot linux OS's (but that
requires grub2 and not grub-legacy). *And* you need gpt partitioning
instead of msdos.

And in no way it says anything about 'secure boot' which the Free
Software Foundation aptly calls 'restricted boot'.

cheers