[Mageia-discuss] UEFI and Secure Boot

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Tue Aug 21 21:31:31 CEST 2012

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 21:31:56 +0300, Thomas Backlund wrote:

> If you dont need windows 7, then it's probably easier to disable
> uefi (if you can) and do a "old style" install.

  The only 'UEFI' part of the BIOS Setup is the one I described
earlier:

      "UEFI Boot support:
	    'Enabled':  System boots Legacy OS and UEFI OS
	    'Disabled': System boots Legacy OS only"

It is Disabled, but I don't know yet if the drive has GPT or legacy
partitioning.
  So the $64 question is:

  If I ask the Mageia-2 DVD.iso installer to install on this drive, will
it only be able to do it if it does *not* have GPT partitions, or -
(if I invite it to take over the whole drive) will it be able to install
if it is GPT, or - if not - will it be able to format the whole drive as
non-GPT and then install?

I kniow that's a lot of questions, but I hope you can see what I'm
getting at!

--
/\/\aurice
	(Retired in Surrey, UK)