[Mageia-discuss] How to re-enable nvidia driver for new kernel?

Len Lawrence tarazed25 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 19:15:25 CEST 2012

Kernel update troubles.  The 3.3.8 kernel came down this afternoon
along with the nvidia modules.  Installed them and restarted the PC as
advised.  No video driver but a message flashed by which said
something like nvidia 297.51 already installed against this kernel
(which was true of 3.3.6).  The log messages gave no clue.  All they
said was could not load nvidia, presumably because the module had not
been compiled against the kernel.

X fails also under the new kernel with xdriver=nouveau.  Maybe vesa
would work but I did not try that.

Now this sort of problem occurs again and again but on some lucky
occasions dkms (?) comes into action at the reboot and recompiles the
module and all is well.  Why should it be so hit and miss, mostly
miss?

To send this I have had to choose the 3.3.6 kernel at boot time.
XFdrake does not work in console mode so I am stumped at this point.

Am I missing something, apart from my grey cells?

Len