[Mageia-discuss] New kernel cant boot and it killed MCC update

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 14:22:09 CEST 2012

On 08/24/2012 09:31 PM, Jim Whitby wrote:
> On 08/24/2012 09:24 PM, Jim Whitby wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> Yes. That worked just fine. Running the new kernel and nvidia ( well,
>> I think so anyway, the machine is not here, but X and kdm are  running ).
>>
>> Again Thanks!
>>

> I should add that I did a update ( which did complete ), before I rebooted.

Running the x86 version here. My update froze for unknown reasons while
downloading one of the nvidia packages(I forget which one now), with
part of the updates installed and others not. I knew interrupting it
would be a problem, so I let it go for 30 minutes before finally giving
up. At that point I couldn't run the updates again to finish them off,
so I attempted a reboot. That failed, no matter which kernel I tried,
though at different spots.

After blistering my monitor screen with curses, I decided that what with
not knowing what was mucked up and what wasn't, what might be hiding
waiting to bite me in the backside later, the only sensible thing to do
was a new install from the DVD. Four hours later, everything is back,
updated, and functioning.

A very Microsoft-like procedure to be sure, but it worked.

TJ