[Mageia-discuss] Jre and Firefox

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:48:19 CEST 2012

On 08/28/2012 07:44 AM, Frank Griffin wrote:
> On 08/28/2012 06:08 AM, Phil wrote:
>> Thank you for reading this.
>>
>> Firefox says that an older JRE version has been disabled and that the
>> latest version should be installed. I've installed the latest JRE
>> (version 7 rpm) from Oracle's site but I cannot relate their
>> instructions to the Firefox directory structure (no plugin directory)
>> under Mageia.
>>
>> No doubt there is a simple way around this. Can anyone offer a
>> suggestion?
>>
> You need to wait for Mageia's own Java RPM to be updated.  One of the
> primary differences between different distro RPMs is file placement. You
> can't expect an Oracle RPM to have knowledge of Mageia's choices for
> file placement.
>
> BTW, a 0-day security flaw has just been announced for Java 1.7, and
> people are recommending that Java in browsers be disabled until Oracle
> can issue a patch (perhaps not until October 16).

IIRC, Mageia's own Oracle Java won't be updated beyond version 1.6.x
because of licensing changes. Mageia is recommending the open source
icedtea-web plugin instead.

However, you can install Java 1.7.x yourself when Oracle releases the
fixed version.  In Mageia, as in Mandriva before it, the system-wide
firefox plugins can be found in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. (but be sure
to remove any others, including icedtea-web, that might be there)

TJ