[Mageia-discuss] Another mouse question

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Thu Dec 6 18:27:20 CET 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 17:13 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On my husband's laptop, scrolling the mouse affects the sound/volume,
> instead of scrolling the page.  I'm completely at a loss as to how
> this has happened or how to fix it.  Ideas?

Is your husband using Gnome or some other environment? (and if so,
which?)

Which Mageia release?

Does it happen with the scrollwheel only or also when clicking on
scrollbars? Or when moving the mouse not clicking on anything? All the
time or only sometimes? In one application/program or all of them?

Is your husband wearing shoes? Static electricity can cause problems
sometimes. Is it a wireless mouse?

It is expected that when the volume control gnome applet has focus, so
that the volume slider is shown, the mouse wheel will change the volume.

Is there something he might have configured in a articular program he
uses (e.g. a Web browser) or, if it's all programs, the desktop? For
example, did he recently enable accessibility options?

It's rather hard to guess from your mail message but maybe these
questions will help you diagnose things.

Liam