[Mageia-discuss] FSF anf UEFI SecureBoot

P. Christeas xrg at linux.gr
Sun Dec 30 09:15:27 CET 2012

On Sunday 30 December 2012, Max Quarterpleen wrote:
> Hi all
> It looks like the FSF is launching a campaign to stop the UEFI SecureBoot
> from being adopted on a large scale basis.

Suggestion (in case it's not already considered) :

We could also utilize the /consumer protection/ channels and demand that such
hardware comes with a big _sticker_ claiming "this device cannot support any
3rd party software/operating system".

It is important to emphasize on a /negative/ wording. One that would put off
the consumer from buying the locked-down device. Of course, in legal terms, we
must be very precise in what we ask for, because companies will try to change
the sticker to some positive message: "this device is /protected/ against bad
software" or so..

If vendors don't apply the sticker, then, under current law (in most European
and US states), we have the right to *return* the device, claiming it does not
fulfil the purpose we have bought it for. A return will hurt the vendors/
manufacturers most, because of the extra cost of return shipment.
Again, we want the FSFs backing to help us secure our refund. For example,
claiming that "a computer is supposed to be a /generic/ device, on which the
owner/user is able to install vendor-agnostic software" could be a legal way
(with a widely-known precedent) for the consumer to react. (otoh, just going
back to the shop saying "I don't want this crap" may not be allowed in some
markets)

I hope, such a consumer reaction would make manufacturers think twice before
taking our rights away.

Happy new Year!

--
Say NO to spam and viruses. Stop using Microsoft Windows!