[Mageia-discuss] partitioning bug

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 06:08:30 CEST 2012

David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 04:03:34 -0400, blind Pete
> <0123peter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Morgan Leijström wrote:
>>> It would also be interesting to know what other tools say.
>>> gparted?
>
>> Gparted looks pretty.  As far as I can see, gparted agrees
>> with what I think things should look like.  Gparted and
>> fdisk agree about the number of sectors.  (More than you
>> get by multiplying CxHxS.)
>
> Interesting.  I guess it would be best to use 'hdparm -i /dev/sda|grep
> LBAsects" to find out the number of sectors.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

[root at live ~]# hdparm -i /dev/sda | grep LBA
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=1953523055
[root at live ~]#

Same number of sectors as gparted and fdisk report.  Number of heads
and sectors per cylinder are just, "it's a big disk".  _Posssibly_
number of cylinders gives a clue about how big.  H can be 63 or 255,
depending on mood, and CxHxS should be a little less than max LBA.

The situation just got worse.  The latest work arround is to lie
about how big a sector is.  That is called "advanced" formatting.

--
blind Pete
Sig goes here...