[Mageia-discuss] partitioning bug

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Fri Jul 13 01:37:24 CEST 2012

blind Pete a écrit :
> andre999 wrote:
>

>> blind Pete a écrit :

>>> OK I have installed gdisk and will look at it.  How would you rate
>>> it for maturity?  And what else can recognize a gpt disk?
>>>
>> I would say very mature, even when I started using it (under mdv 2010.0
>> or 2010.1)
>> The developer says the "hybid" option which simulates MBR for Msw is
>> risky, but even that I found very stable and predictable
>>
> I let it loose on my test machine.  It has Lilo on the mbr.  Mageia 1
> with Grub in its root partition, Mageia 2 with Grub in its root
> partition, and Ubuntu 10.04.4 with Grub 2 in its root partition.
>
> Converting to gpt confused Ubuntu's Grub 2.
>
> Experimenting with a hybrid system, converting a primary
> to a logical, adding a new primary, and renumbering confused
> lots of things.
>
> It was only the test computer.
>

>>> Grub?
>>>

>> Yes, since 1.97 patched for GPT, as used in mdv and fedora (at least)
>> when I started using GPT.
>> Mageia has always used this version.
>>
>>> Grub2?
>>>

>> Definitely
>>
> I managed to confuse it.  Posibly by having it installed in the
> root partition.

It might be because you had your "extended" partition at the beginning
of the disk, and MBR disk partitions are numbered with the "primary"
partions 1-4 and "extended" 5+.
Gdisk would normally number in disk order, but I'm not sure because I
have always numbered in disk order with the "extended" partition at the
end of the disk.  With gdisk it is easy to extend an extended partition
to the end of disk with gparted (using a live cd such as systemrescueCD).
You can easily check what partition ordering is with gdisk.  (From
systemrescueCD if necessary.)
In any case, both grub and grub2 can get confused sometimes when
partition numbering changes.
It is only necessary to go into rescue mode on boot (from any Mageia
boot cd/dvd, or systemrescueCD), and invoke grub to find the designated
boot partition.
It gives you a grub prompt.  grub has somewhat cryptic but useful help.
(This may have changed under grub2, but I don't think so.)

>>> Lilo?
>>>

>> Not sure.  I think newer versions do.
>>
> Mostly works.  The mbr code just jumps to a hardcoded sector
> address and loads the real code from what is normally /etc/map.

Good to know.

>>> The Mageia installer?
>>>

>> I didn't have a problem.  I did an upgrade install from mdv2010.2 to
>> mga1, and could read the other partitions to set up fstab.
>> Sometime before mga1 was available, I had a problem which corrupted my
>> system, and made it unbootable.  It took me a while to get around that,
>> as I didn't want to loose my uncorrupted partitions.  I ended up fixing
>> it with SystemRescueCD (it contains a partition recovery tool called
>> testdisk.)  I was able to reinstall mdv.  I may have formatted / with
>> SystemRescueCD.  At that point I had a "hybrid" format simulating MBR
>> for systems not aware of GPT.
>>
> Is there any option in the installer to turn the disk into a gpt disk?

I highly doubt it, if you mean converting an MBR disk to gpt.
I think gdisk must be used.  (or some other similar application.)
And a live cd or dvd, since you can't be using the disk during conversion.

If you're talking about completely reformatting the disk during
installation, it might work.
When I first tried gpt, I was able to newly format empty usb drives as
gpt, but I don't remember if I used the systemrescueCD or Mandriva.  (If
Mandriva, then that should still work with Mageia.)
But working with secondary drives after installation doesn't mean it
would necessarily work with the boot drive during installation.  (But it
would be nice if someone tested ;) )

>>> Other installers?
>>>
>>> Other operating systems?
>>>

>> According to what I have read, most other major distros handle GPT
>> nicely.  The Linux kernel does.
>> Msw 32-bit does not, but can work with gdisks' "hybrid" format, which
>> puts an MBR table at the end of the first sector (a space not used by
>> GPT).  It is a little tricky to set up, but initially I had it working.
>> Recently I haven't been bothered to get it working again.
>> Msw 64-bit is GPT-aware, but I have read that it works only on EFT
>> hardware, which has a special BIOS.  (Incompatible with Msw 32-bit.)  It
>> may be just that it is the default installation.
>> MacOS handles GPT, but I'm not sure of the restrictions if any.  Is was
>> an early adopter.
>> *BSD systems should handle GPT just like Linux.

Note that if a disk is first formatted as gpt, it can't be converted to
mbr unless it has 4 or less partitions, or every partition after
partition 3 (that is, any that would be in the extended partition) has
enough empty space before it.  With the default config for mbr, that
means 63 unallocated sectors before each "logical" partition.

>>> In Mageia 1 the installer pulled it from the net rather than from
>>> the local iso, so it was not prepackaged.
>>>
>> I installed mga1 from DVD.  This upgrade went very smoothly.
>>
>> I did have a problem changing partition parameters with diskdrake under
>> mga1, not long after installing it, shortly after mga1 was released.
>> Luckily I was testing things, so I didn't loose anything important.  But
>> everything was lost on the partition in question.  I then tried
>> reformatting the partition with diskdrake, and it wouldn't work.  I had
>> to use SystemRescueCD (with gparted).
>> I strongly suspect it was due to my having a "hybrid" format.  I think
>> that at least at that point, diskdrake (or whatever it uses) would see
>> the MBR table, and classify the disk as MBR.  While still getting the
>> partition location parameters from the GPT table.  (The simulated MBR
>> table puts most partitions in a large "foreign" partition.  The
>> corrupted partition was not in the MBR table.  And no other partition
>> was affected.)
>>
>> Note that I have never had a problem simply accessing (read or write) a
>> GPT partition on mdv or mga.
>>
>> Also, initially I used gdisk to format usb drives (but no hybrid MBR
>> table), and have never had a problem on those disks with diskdrake or
>> any other mdv or mga tools.
>>
>> BTW, I installed gdisk from upstream on mdv, and first imported gdisk to
>> Mageia.

>>> I'm interested.
>>>
>> You will probably find this interesting :)
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
>>
> Thanks.

A further thought.  If you don't need MBR access on a gpt disk (in other
words, don't have msw installed), it is better not to have a "hybrid"
format.
That is, use the default gdisk format which creates an mbr table with a
non-ms partition occupying the entire disk.  (To discourage
non-gpt-aware systems from corrupting your disk.)
The gdisk site has some info for using non-linux gpt-aware partitions,
in case you have any.

Regards :)

--
André