[Mageia-discuss] Cultural difference: "Let your yes be yes" <---> "It is rude to say no"

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Fri Jul 13 02:40:58 CEST 2012

On Friday 13 July 2012 01:35, Frank Griffin wrote:
> I think you're missing the point.

As did you. I gave a few example on how to avoid to lie, and be thuthfull at the same time.
There is a difference in not telling what they wan't to hear, and lying just to avoid problems.
Besides, telling the truth does not mean that you should tell the whole truth. There's a difference. :-)=

> In some cultures, not giving offense trumps telling the truth.

Which does not defend lying. I really cannot envision a situation where outright lying is prefered over telling the truth or just shutting up.
If the truth is to much in a situation, then suck it up and shutup. If you're not saying anything, you can't be lying.

There's another way to answer if someone ask if you would do something. You can say "Yes, I can do that". By that statement you're simply saying that you /can do it, you didn't say that you Would do it. I did that with my late grandma, which often asked me to do things that I really didn't want to do, and I didn't want to tell her that I hoped to avoid it.
The trick is how you say it, which is what lawyers have discovered.

And yes, this is something that I really have strong opinions about. ;-)=

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324