[Mageia-discuss] Cultural difference: "Let your yes be yes" <---> "It is rude to say no"

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 13 08:54:45 CEST 2012

2012/7/13 Marja van Waes <marja11 at xs4all.nl>:
>> Don't forget that often people will say yes because they would like to
>> do something, without seriously considering the various demands on their
>> time. They think it is a good idea, and they want to contribute. (I tend
>> to be somewhat like that.)
>> So it is not only people saying "yes" when they mean "no".
>> And once they have said "yes", like almost everyone, they find it more
>> difficult to say "no" later on. After all, they still think it is
>> something that should be done.

The more it is important that we all realize that we have to
communicate in clear words and a truthful attitude. If I offered to do
something and I find it either too time consuming or too difficult - I
do not wait until others are asking about the progress of the task, I
explain the situation and act likewise, I'm a grown-up and not in
first grade anymore. I actually did so when I discovered that I could
not contribute any more in the same way I used to, and because I did
all others involved were able to cope with the situation instead of
facing unwanted delays or worse.

If we all act up to our core values (where this situation is
explicitely mentioned!) it will be no big thing for anybody.

--
wobo