[Mageia-discuss] Cultural difference: "Let your yes be yes" <---> "It is rude to say no"

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Fri Jul 13 09:08:45 CEST 2012

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 08:42:25 +0200
Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:

> All this leaves me wondering open-mouthed. Wondering how people yould
> manage their daily lives when they don't want to use a clear negative
> answer to a question where "yes" and "no" would cause different
> consequences.

It leaves me wondering what all this has to do with Mageia?  Does it
simply mean that being a multinational, multicultural community, we
need to remember that in our dealings, and Marja's example is one of
them?

Nowadays, even a local community is multicultural.  Here, my brother
kept using the phrase "spot the Aussie."  That didn't mean Aboriginals,
but white descendants of the British settlers.  In London even, there
doesn't seem to be an "English" face.  If you can get on well with your
neighbours, you are half-way there.

In my student days, I had a pen-friend from the Lyons district.  A
fellow student from Paris told me that if I ever went to France,
knowing her would be an invaluable doorway into French society, because
otherwise, it would be very difficult.  True or not, it is just another
example. (I lost touch with her when she married.)

Doug.