[Mageia-discuss] Cultural difference: "Let your yes be yes" <---> "It is rude to say no"

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 13 15:11:07 CEST 2012

2012/7/13 Marja van Waes <marja11 at xs4all.nl>:
> On 13/07/2012 08:42, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>>
>> Marjy, if I'd ask you "Would it be ok when I come visiting next week?"
>> I need a valid answer because if you say "yes" I will buy a ticket and
>> hop on the train next monday. And I'd be very surprised if I will
>> knock on your door and you are not there because you said "yes" just
>> out of being polite.
>>

> No fear. You're welcome, the guest room is free and the owner of this house
> agrees.

You know that I can't visit in reality - this was meant as example how
things can take a real bad turn if "yes" and "no" are not used in
their true meaning.

I have heard and can understand that "no" is circumvented in a culture
where everybody tries to "keep his/her face", but I never heard about
somebody say "yes" just because "no" would be rude behavior. This
could even have dangerous consequences. So I assume this habit to
avoid "no" is only a habit in social interaction. In real life
situations where you need clear and unmisunderstanable words you can't
start interpreting a "no" for what it could mean at that moment.

--
wobo