[Mageia-discuss] Cultural difference: "Let your yes be yes" <---> "It is rude to say no"

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 09:06:10 CEST 2012

Frank Griffin wrote:

> On 07/12/2012 06:01 PM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
>> I tend to not answer the question,
>
> I think you're missing the point.  In some cultures, not giving offense
> trumps telling the truth.
>
> I've found this to be the case in the past with the Japanese on IT
> matters.  When they say "yes" they really mean "I understand the request
> you are making", not "I am committing to doing it".  They expect you to
> know that what you are asking is (in their view) unreasonable.

Think of it as a translation problem.  They don't have words
for, "you", "library", "book shop", or "yes".  Their nearest
equvalents are roughly back translated as, "dear", "book place",
"book place" (again), and "I understand the request you are making".

Good translations are very difficult.

--
blind Pete
Sig goes here...