[Mageia-discuss] xen and grub

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Sat Jul 14 10:49:35 CEST 2012

Op zaterdag 14 juli 2012 04:23:13 schreef Jim Whitby:
> On 07/14/2012 02:29 AM, andre999 wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > As Al13n says, we'd really appreciate you joining QA to test Xen for QA.
> > Or the packaging team to package Xen.
>
> If I can get enough info to make it run.
> I'd be happy to join QA for xen.
>
> If I can install/run it. *Anyone* can.
>
> I'm not a programmer and have no interest in becoming one.

packagers are not programmers. but we do need some pre-release testing and xen
isn't that easy to test without the proper hardware for it.

> > Regards :)
>
> I did find an answer to my original problem.
> I found a how-to for centos6.2 which was a big help figuring out the
> grub entry.
>
> The grub entry should look like this:
>
> title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
> kernel (hd0,4)/boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=1024M
> module (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz
> root=UUID=454ead11-1953-4c3e-918b-b5d0f1bceb17 splash quiet nokmsboot
> module (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img
>

> Which is a modified mg2 entry.
> The above will allow xen to boot.
>
> I also figured out I need to make the xen* init scripts active!

iirc, not all init scripts need to be started. xend is not one that is needed.

> Having done that. I had a system that would boot in about 35 minutes.

that's way too long, since we're now using systemd, would it be possible to
install bootchart and reconfigure with dracut your initrd, to find out why it's
taking so long to boot?

> Needless to say, without *much* more info on what needs doing, I removed
> all of it.
> Possibly the  network configuration is partly at fault ( well, I'm sure
> it is, I just don't know for sure what to do about it ).

the new xen should rely on a bridge being made in the system config (i think)

> I looked at the centos stuff, but not sure how much is applicable on mg2.
>
> Jim

I know a bit about it, but i haven't been able to test it much. I wish i
could, and i have a machine at work i can do it for, but it'll take months
before i have the time to test it :-( (too much work at work)