[Mageia-discuss] One-Wire Home Temperature Network with Linux

Juergen Harms Juergen.Harms at unige.ch
Sun Jul 15 16:21:06 CEST 2012

On 07/15/2012 03:13 PM, Doug Lytle wrote:
> I've just started to play with a 1 wire temperature sensor, under Mageia
> 1. I've been following a couple of blog on how to get things setup (1 & 2).
>
> I've installed the digitemp software (2) via urpmi and can actually see
> the USB dongle (DS9490R) and my temp sensor (DS18B20).
>
> The problem being that when running the command digitemp_DS2490 -a -i
> -q, it is supposed to write out it's configure file (.digitemprc) to the
> profile directory, which for me running the command as root, should be
> /root/.digitemprc, but it doesn't.
>
> Has anybody played around with temperature sensors under Mageia? If so,
> were you able to get it to write out the file?
>
> Doug
>
> (1)
> http://bitsup.blogspot.com/2008/11/one-wire-home-temperature-network-with.html
>
> (2) http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddUSBOneWireAdapter
> (3) http://digitemp.com

I have DS18B20 sensors running, but not on Mageia - my sensors are
connected to an AVR microprocessors (which is controlled by a C
programme, downloaded from my Mageia PC).

I have doubts whether it is possible to reliably operate 1-wire devices
directly connected to a PC that is simultaneously used to do "ordinary
stuff": the 1-wire protocol has quite strict bit-timing requirements
(the pin on the I/O port on your PC which drives the 1-wire bus must
create pulses with well-defined lengths and intervals), not evident to
implement on a time-shared PC - could also have negative impact on non
real-time applications that run on the PC. You might need to more or
less dedicate your PC to run your 1-wire application.

In case you cannot make it work directly on Mageia, the microprocessor
approach is certainly a valid (even better?) alternative since the
microprocessor can print the result to a serial port and hence to a PC.

In case this approach is of interest to you, we should discuss this by
PM (no problem to let you have my hard- and software)

Juergen