[Mageia-discuss] What is your motivation? (about American English in Mageia for British users)

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Tue Jul 24 23:06:35 CEST 2012

> On 24/07/2012 13:18, Graham Tarn wrote:
>> Hello Marja
>>
>> I understand and I see the problem of shortage of contributors.
>> Also I can see that you are doing your best.
>>
>> However, my language is under attack from a variety of sources in the
>> computing world (no other industries try to change the spelling of the
>> words in my language, only the computing industry, and the problem lies
>> with operating systems and applications),
>>
>> As a start, I am asking for changes of spelling to any of the following
>> occurrennces:
>>
>> center --> centre
>> initialize --> initialise
>> favorite --> favourite
>> favorites --> favourites
>> color --> colour
>> colors --> colours
>> flavor --> flavour
>> flavors --> flavours

Hello Graham,

I believe these words are correct in American English, which is AFAIK
the default language used when writing our tools.
US English is usually the language chosen for the "C" (or "POSIX")
locale, which is the system default or fallback.

So, these wordings are not mistakes, and will not be changed in the
source code.

But it could be possible to provide "translations" in British English,
which will appear for users having chosen the "English" (en_GB) language in the
configuration tools, as opposed to "English (American)" (en_US).

It seems that at the moment, we do not provide such en_GB translations
for our drakxtools.
Thierry, is it something that's easy to add with the current
drakxtools infrastructure?

--
Olivier Blin - blino