[Mageia-discuss] What is your motivation? (about American English in Mageia for British users)

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Jul 26 12:57:13 CEST 2012

On 26/07/12 03:45, TJ wrote:

> The US is a strange place that often makes little sense. We drive
> on the parkway, and park on the driveway,

Perfect examples of needing to be aware of clarity :-)

> And add to that all the words we've integrated from languages from
> all over the world - our infamous "melting-pot" at work - and you
> get a hopeless mess. But it's our mess, and we like it that way.

Equally true of en_GB - we like our own mess, but we shouldn't inflict
on others anything that could confuse them.

> BTW Anne, sorry, but to my ears "thoil" sounds like something
> someone with a lisp would say when describing a planting medium.

Haha! Still, you have to admit that having a single word that implies
so much is useful :-)

>>> As they say in NY, put out or get out. The British translation
>>> for that would be: get down from your high horse and help out
>>> or just go away.
>>
>> OR "Put up, or shut up" :-)
>>
> I don't remember hearing Max's version in Upstate New York. The
> high horse variation is older usage (My grandmother favored it.
> Oops. Sorry. *favoured* it.), and Anne's version is the most common
> here. Another version is "Put your money where your mouth is."

Agreed - often used here.

>>> So please, you are welcome to join the Mageia team and provide
>>> an en_GB translation for what is missing. You are welcome to
>>> sit in silent defiance and nurse your stubbornness. But this,
>>> this angst-driven tirade? This is not welcome at all. It only
>>> generates more angst.
>>
>> After a bad start, just relax.  You will be welcomed if you do
>> give your effort.
>>
>> Anne
>>
> Lord knows I can't speak for all Americans, but for my own part I
> could easily adapt if British were the default language, rather
> than American. I have traveled to Canada and have cruised through
> web sites that used British spelling, and have felt no offense
> (Oops again. *offence,* isn't it?) at seeing it. If it will help
> international relations, I'm more than willing to exist with
> spellings that look odd to me. After a while, I doubt they'd still
> look so odd.
>
> Heck, you can use Cockney if you want. Sounds like fun.

There I draw the line :-D  Much of Cockney rhyming slang was
deliberate to avoid outsiders understanding a conversation, even down
to reversing words, such as 'yobs' for 'boys'.

I enjoy diversions into language like this, but of course the crux of
the matter in this context is that we all agree that clarity counts
most, and a little give-and-take always helps.

Anne
- --
Need KDE help? Try
http://userbase.kde.org or