[Mageia-discuss] MariaDB usage statistics

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Fri Jul 27 09:47:01 CEST 2012

Hi,

As you all likely know, at mageia we replaced MySQL with MariaDB.

When MariaDB devs told me that it seemed their biggest market was Windows, I
was really astounded.

They then referred me to the feedback plug and this statistics page:
http://mariadb.org/feedback_plugin/stats/os/

The explanation is quite simple:
 - Windows users need to download the version from MariaDB site (which has
feedback enabled by default).
 - Linux users can get it from MariaDB site, or from their own distro. (and
those versions don't have feedback enabled by default at all...) (for good
reason).

Still, the numbers are completely wrong, and therefor, i urge all of you to
load the feedback plugin for all servers you manage! so that these statistics
can better influence both MariaDB and Mageia.

How to enable feedback plugin? easy:

1. install mariadb-feedback package
2. load it in your config file, by adding it to your plugin-load line:

(in /etc/my.cnf )

plugin_dir=/usr/lib64/mysql/plugin
plugin-load=ha_archive.so;ha_blackhole.so;ha_federatedx.so;feedback.so

3. if possible, if you're using KDE, your akonadi also uses mariadb. so you
can add this to your akonadi mariadb config file too, in mysqld section:

(in ~/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf )

[mysqld]
plugin_dir=/usr/lib64/mysql/plugin
plugin-load=feedback.so

then restart akonadi with (akonadictl restart)

thanks in advance,

AL13N (mageia mariadb maintainer)