[Mageia-discuss] Can't Dual Boot With Ubuntu

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 00:20:32 CEST 2012

Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 22:33:16 +1000
> blind Pete <0123peter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Different problem.  Grub 1 can not be expected to know about
>> Grub 2.  Grub 2 should know how to handle a Grub 1 system, but
>> doesn't.
>
> The docs for GRUB 2 say to chainload.  If you install Mandriva then
> Ubuntu, the Ubuntu bootloader, will be in your MBR and useable. You can
> then customise it to boot into Mageia by default.  Perhaps not the
> desired outcome.

No there is a bug in the Ubuntu installer, that does not work.  It
should.  Possibly if Mageia was installed with its boot loader in
its root partition it might work, but I strongly suspect that it
would not, without intervention.  My knowledge of Grub 2 is not
suffeicient to give details.

--
blind Pete
Sig goes here...