[Mageia-discuss] problems with kmail2

Renaud MICHEL r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 18:28:03 CET 2012

Hello

I upgraded yesterday my computer from mageia 1 to mageia 2, most work but I
am having problems with kmail2.
I had read a lot about it, so I knew I had to export my filters to re-import
them after upgrade. That worked, although at first they didn't seem to be
properly applied, now that part is working.
I also executed kmail-migrator by hand before starting kmail itself. It
didn't import the password stored in kmail1 configuration, but thanks to
this forum post
http://fixunix.com/mandriva/342585-kmail-password-decoding.html
I was able to restore them.

But that akonadi-based kmail feels like a big step backward compared to how
rock-stable kmail1 was.

akonadi is configured to use an external mysql instance, and a few times I
have seen the mysqld process go crazy on a big select from akondi. After
more than an hour the select was still not finished (or was restarted in a
loop by akonadi?) and I had to restart the akonadi server to make it stop.
I have a little over 100000 mails, could that be the problem? Is that too
much for akonadi?

Some times it takes kmail many seconds to show the content of a folder or to
change the status of a mail (from unread to read), and it happens quite
frequently that I have a popup about a conflict on a mail (the differences
being the date and a tag \SEEN). How can there be conflict with a single
mail client?
Some times I have to wait some minutes for it to make the actions I asked
for (mark mails as read or move them to trash).
On such occasion I see this message in akonadi error log

ItemRetrieverException :  Resource was unable to deliver item

On one occasion, akonadi lost its connection to mysql, with this message
repeated several times in its error log

Database error: DataStore::beginTransaction
  Last driver error: "QMYSQL: Unable to begin transaction"
  Last database error: "MySQL server has gone away"

Mysql was still there, but I had to restart akonadi (not mysql) to make it
work again.

The worst is that it has lost some mails!
I know because some of the mails sent to this list didn't make it to me, on
one occasion I saw it mark the folder as having 3 unread mails, and when I
wanted to go see them (with a shortcut to go to the next unread message) the
count went down to 1, I can see the missing mail on the list archive, but
not in my inbox (even if I go look at the files).
I only have POP3 accounts and I didn't even configure a spam filter yet (I
read there has been some problem with that, which should be fixed in 4.8.5).

I am considering downgrading to kmail1 from mga1, but I guess I will have to
downgrade all of kdepim.
Does it get any better with KDE 4.9?

Or maybe I will switch to another mail client, is there another for KDE or
should I go to a GTK one like claws-mail?

Not sure if anybody can help me here, if you have any tips to make akonadi
faster more stable they are welcome.

--
Renaud Michel