[Mageia-discuss] Use of resources by TB on my main Mageia box

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Wed Nov 7 11:18:27 CET 2012

I was just wondering if there was an easy fix to this.

I use Thunderbird on my main box to help run a webzine. I have
Thunderbird receiving and fetching mail from  various locations and
receive approximately over +1500 emails per day (some days 3,000). So,
Thunderbird is pretty busy.

When I monitor the use of resources, TB can go from using practically no
resources to 80-90% resources. This has the effect of making my Mageia
box "freeze" temporarily when TB is gobbling up a lot of resources. I
have been ignoring this when working with other software as I know that
5-6 seconds later TB generally releases enough resources for the other
programmes to work. The whole setup makes for a lot of hiccups when in
use. Although, the board is really reliable.

My Mobo: ASRock K8Upgrade-VM800
RAM: 2 gig (Mobo RAM max is 2 gig so I can't add more)
AGP Card: GeForce 7300GT

I usually need the following software open to work with:

FF
KWrite
Skype
Pidgin

I know that a new mobo with more RAM would fix this, but is there a way
to make the box work with less interruptions? Are there any other
options/tricks other than replacing the box?

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré