[Mageia-discuss] KDE update problems? Maybe?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Mon Sep 10 12:04:16 CEST 2012

Hi Marc,

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 05:22:53 -0400
Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com> wrote:

> I am just wondering if it is just me, but, ever since the KDE update,

Which KDE update?

> I had problems with my desktops and laptops (5 in total). I have had
> to delete .kde4 (Home folder) on 4 of these boxes, and the last one
> has not been updated yet (my son just finished his summer holidays
> and was breaking in his Windows partition with his new install of
> WOW);

Just a note - NEVER (!!) delete ~/.kde4/ as this will lose all your settings.
You can instead move it away using the "mv" command:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mv

I'm just mentioning it so people won't be encouraged to do so (and you shouldn't do
so in the future).

> now that summer vacation is over and WOW time is reduced, he
> will have to update. I was hoping he would try playing WOW on his
> Mageia partition.
>
> Has anyone else had any problems?
>
> Some of the problems that I have had:
>
> -- general slow down in speed
> -- Klipper would disappear at login
> -- the Lan connection Icon would disappear
> -- some of the KDE preferences would somehow go back to their default
> state
> -- log off widget in the taskbar (lower-right) would quit
> responding
> -- re-start option (Start button ...) would also stop
> responding

I didn't encounter any of these problems either on Mageia 2 x86-64 or Mageia Cauldron
x86-64. If you can reproduce them somehow, you can file bug reports on http://bugs.kde.org/ .

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish