[Mageia-discuss] SUCCESS!: Transfer KMail settings and content from KDE3 to KDE4

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Fri Sep 21 07:08:16 CEST 2012

On Friday 21 September 2012 05:18, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
> If I manage that, Then I hope I'm done. :-)=

And I've done it! :-)=
I'll still be reading mail from this old system. Old habbit, and the display card supports a higher resolution. but it works. \o/

First things first. I did the import on mdv2010.2, but I suspect the procedure will work in mageia also.

When poking Google, I stumbled accross this official KDE guide:
http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Migration

I did some steps not in that guide, by trial and error.

The mail folder in KDE3 was ~/Mail/. it was enough to copy the content of the folder into ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail/ (rsync -av user at kde3-host:Mail/ ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/)

Simply copying kmailrc from a kde3 system to kde4 did not work.
So I removed everything that was not an account, transport or identity setting, and saved it in a new file, which I then added to ~/.kde4/share/config/kmailrc.
Next I copied the transport settings into ~/.kde4/share/config/mailtransports.
I also copied emaildefaults and emailidentities into the config folder. I removed the [$version] section from the emailidentities file.

The filters was imported using the export and import feature.

That's basically what I did.
When I launched KMail afterwards, it all worked. All folders where exactly as on the old system.

Now I have to figure out why KMail doesn't see my addressbook, and i'm all set. :-)=

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324