[Mageia-discuss] Glitch with nvidia FX 5500 card driver

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 15:17:39 CET 2012

On 01/19/2012 06:37 AM, AL13N wrote:
> [...]
>> So then it seemed like it had to be the card. Maybe the card didn't have
>> enough memory, was too slow, or I needed a DVI output. I bought a 256MB
>> BFG Geforce 6200OC card, and installed it, switching to the DVI port it
>> had. MCC detected the card, but I still had to instruct it that I wanted
>> to use the proprietary driver. Three packages were installed, and I was
>> instructed that I had to reboot before they'd take effect.
>>
>> So I rebooted, taking note as I did so that the scrambling problem was
>> still there with the new car when it used the old driver. After
>> rebooting with the correct driver, the problem disappeared completely.
>> All is now well.
>>
>> All the above verbiage leads me to now believe that there's something
>> wrong with the nvidia FX driver currently in use by Mageia 1. If you've
>> stuck with me this far I hope you agree. I thought somebody should know.
> [...]
>
> this "new driver" what is it? is it, is it different from the one used
> before?

Sorry, I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought.

The FX cards use a different nvidia driver than the 6000 series. When I
first booted with the 6200, the "new" card, Mageia was still using the
FX driver, the "old" driver. Using MCC, I had Mageia install the driver
for the 6000 series, the "new" driver, but it didn't take effect until I
did a reboot. So, when I began the restart process, Mageia was still
using the FX driver("old") with the card, and the 6200 card acted as the
FX card had. After the reboot Mageia was using the 6000 series
driver("new"), and all worked as it should.

Hope that clears things up. Again, I'm sorry if I was confusing.

TJ