[Mageia-discuss] [Mageia-dev] Servers downtime scheduled from Feb. 1 to 2 for maintenance

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 17:02:25 CET 2012

On 31 January 2012 15:09, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
>> some Mageia servers will be down from Wednesday Feb. 1st to Thursday
>> Feb. 2nd for maintenance. Particularly, the following services will be
>> unavailable:
>> - our LDAP/user identity db,
>> - build system,
>> - Bugzilla,
>> - all mailing-lists hosted on ml.mageia.org,
>> - Wiki,
>> - forums.
> - transifex
> - epoll
> - svn, git
> - youri web interface
> - maint db
>
> in short, almost all web applications ( ie, hosted on alamut ), and the
> build system. See http://svnweb.mageia.org/adm/puppet/manifests/nodes/
>
> And to complete :
> - ldap will still work ( we do have a redundant setup, even if I have
> not finished making sure everything use the 2nd ldap in case of failure
> ), but readonly
>
> - mails will still be queued, so nothing should be lost
>
> We will announce on irc the exact moment when we plan to shutdown
> servers.

Announce it by mail too please.

BTW, we should try to make more stuff redundancy. Withough going up to
using DRBD
for VM images, we could:
- for SVN, it's easy to have at least a RO secondary server:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.serverconfig.httpd.html#svn.serverconfig.httpd.extra.writethruproxy
if we stop write access on the master, we could wait for the slave to
keep up with the latest commits, then make it RW
when we need to stop the master.
- for bugzilla, have two VM who perform master-master replication; we
can this way
 I'm not sure bugzilla support writing on both ends, but without
performing load balancing,
 when needed, we could stop access to the active one, wait for
replication to finish, open
 access on the second one
- having more hypervisors and live migrating our VMs off the
hypervisor we update so that
  rebooting it doesn't impact service;
- ...

See you