[Mageia-discuss] A possible risk ?

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Wed Feb 8 15:57:59 CET 2012

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012, Michael Scherer wrote:

> Le mercredi 08 février 2012 à 08:47 -0300, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati a
> écrit :
> >
> > > It is configurable in MCC. You can find it under Security => Configure
> > > authentication for Mageia Tools.
> > > Just select root for Update.
> >
> > Brilliant, thanks.
> >
> > But would it not make more sense to have the default changed to root ?
>
> That totally miss the point, which is that a upgrade hosed the system.
> Would requiring the root password have changed that ? I doubt.
>
> However, if the user cannot do upgrade without asking to someone else
> ( because that's the whole point of having 2 different passwords, else,
> that's just a nuisance that will confuse most people ), then he will
> likely miss security and bugfixes updates, and that's problematic.

It's not clear if we are talking about installing updates only, or
upgrading to a new version of the distribution. Installing updates is
supposed to be safe and can be allowed by default with user password.
But upgrading to a new distribution is more dangerous and should
probably only be allowed with root password.