[Mageia-discuss] Pronunciation

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 20 16:49:01 CET 2012

2012/2/20 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:18:46 -0500
> imnotpc <imnotpc at Rock3d.net> wrote:
>> I would like to talk to others about my experiences with Mageia, but I'm
>> not sure how to pronounce the name. Is the 'g' soft, as in the American
>> English pronunciation of 'magic', or is it a hard 'g' like 'gate'? The
>> dictionaries seem to indicate the latter but I'd like to hear it from
>> the horse's mouth, so to speak.
>
> Though French, I would myself pronounce it hard

That's against pronounciation rules (if 'e' or 'i' follows the "g" is
pronounced the soft way, like in "general", if 'a', 'o' or 'u' follows
it should be pronounced hard like in "garden").

As I reported earlier, even if you ask Greek people they have
different ways to pronounce it. I asked 3 greeks and received 3
different results :)
So, the Mageia approach as written in the FAQ is the only reasonable approach :)
Different to the prominent example of Linux, where the creator of the
kernel (Linus) himself published his way to pronounce it.

BTW: It's correct tp point out that from the main page no way leads to
the FAQ. IIRC this link was removed lately because the FAQ needs
updating.

--
wobo