[Mageia-discuss] Pronunciation

imnotpc imnotpc at Rock3d.net
Mon Feb 20 16:52:38 CET 2012

On 02/20/2012 10:31 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:18:46 -0500
> imnotpc<imnotpc at Rock3d.net>  wrote:
>> I would like to talk to others about my experiences with Mageia, but I'm
>> not sure how to pronounce the name. Is the 'g' soft, as in the American
>> English pronunciation of 'magic', or is it a hard 'g' like 'gate'? The
>> dictionaries seem to indicate the latter but I'd like to hear it from
>> the horse's mouth, so to speak.
> Though French, I would myself pronounce it hard (because that's how I
> imagine it being said in Greek :-)).
>
> "Ma-gay-ah".

I never thought of that pronunciation. So I'm trying to think of how you
would naturally say it in French. Would it be something like
'ma-zsh-ah'? (I obviously don't know proper phonetics) I learned French
in school many, many years ago and at one time was able to speak it well
enough to be understood in Paris. Sadly my comprehension was not very
good so the conversation went in circles. I'd ask something in French,
the Parisian would answer in French, I'd ask my wife in English "What
did he say?", she'd translate his answer into English, and I'd speak to
him again in French. There were however a few big errors on my part, but
that story is probably not appropriate for this list. ;-)

Jeff