[Mageia-discuss] Current java plugin with security hole?

Oliver Burger obgr_seneca at mageia.org
Thu Mar 29 09:30:41 CEST 2012

Am 29.03.2012 09:22, schrieb Wolfgang Bornath:
> The page gives a link to a test routine at java.com where you can test
> which version is installed on your machine. For my Mageia 1
> installation with firefox the test shows  "Your Java version: Version
> 6 Update 26" - which matches the installed package
> (java-1.6.0-sun-plugin-1.6.0.26-0.2.mga1.nonfree).
>
> Recommended is "version 6 update 31". But this is not available yet at Mageia.
>
>   - will there be a security related update for Mageia 1?
>   - if not, should we use the recommended newer version from java.com
> (rpm packages available for 32 and 64 bit)
Afaik oracle has withdrawn the redistribution license for all newer java
versions.
But I'm not sure if only java >= 1.7 is concerned or java > 1.6.0.26.
If it's the latter, we should perhaps remove sun/oracle java completely
from the repos since we are not able to provide any security updates for it.
People can either use openjdk - which is working fine here - or download
sun/oracle java directly from oracle.

Oliver