[Mageia-discuss] Remote login

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Fri Mar 30 23:22:56 CEST 2012

Le 2012-03-30 11:39, Oliver Burger a écrit :
> Am 30.03.2012 16:15, schrieb Marc Paré:
>> Thanks, but how would I do this? I have never done ssh remotely. Can I
>> imagine I can't do this if I don't have a static IP?
> I'm using dyndns as a dynamic pi service. Just look into your routers
> configuration, if it does support dynamic ip services.
>
> But a question, you say you need your desktop. Do you mean your "desktop
> computer" aka the machine standing under or on your desk or do you mean
> the desktop on that machine aka kde or gnome or whatever?
>
> For the first one, you need some dynamic ip service and a router that
> lets you forward the ssh port to that machine and perhaps use wake on
> lan in case the machine is powered down.
>
> For the second one, if the machine is running cauldron, you can use
> x2go. There are some problems with it, but they can be worked arround.
> For more information about x2go look at their homepage
> (http://www.x2go.org/).
>
> If you have questions regarding our packages, just ask.
>
> Oliver

I guess I should explain a little more. I run a music news website, and
filter 300+ emails/day with Thunderbird and also queue up mail-outs.

When I will be away, I will need access to my TBird that has been left
running open collecting/filtering the mail. I will need to access
Thunderbird and check on my inboxes and do some corresponding with groups.

Now that I think of it, perhaps ssh access to an "already-running"
programme would not work -- I am not sure. I have used ssh on my home
LAN to work on one of the computers on the LAN but never with a
programmed that has already been turned on.

I'll take a closer look at x2go (their website is under heavy
construction) but it looks like, for the time being, working something
out with TeamViewer looks like the easiest of the methods to use.

Marc