[Mageia-discuss] Remote login

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sat Mar 31 02:33:41 CEST 2012

Le 2012-03-30 17:30, Oliver Burger a écrit :
> Am 30.03.2012 23:22, schrieb Marc Paré:
>> When I will be away, I will need access to my TBird that has been left
>> running open collecting/filtering the mail. I will need to access
>> Thunderbird and check on my inboxes and do some corresponding with
>> groups.
>>
>> Now that I think of it, perhaps ssh access to an "already-running"
>> programme would not work -- I am not sure. I have used ssh on my home
>> LAN to work on one of the computers on the LAN but never with a
>> programmed that has already been turned on.
>>
>> I'll take a closer look at x2go (their website is under heavy
>> construction) but it looks like, for the time being, working something
>> out with TeamViewer looks like the easiest of the methods to use.
>>
> Ok, x2go won't work here, because it starts a session of its own.
>
> But in the long run, wouldn't it be better to use some server side
> filtering?
> Perhaps setting up an imap server? But I don't have much experience on
> that.
>
> Oliver

I hadn't thought of running an imap server, but this does sound
appealing for my uses. I wonder if  it would be too "resource" demanding
to ask from my desktop computer to do both imap as well as my regular
work on the desktop.

I guess I would then have to have a static IP to be able to access the
imap server. My Belkin router does support DynDNS.

Marc