[Mageia-discuss] snd-emu10k1-synth module problem

Philippe DIDIER philippedidier at laposte.net
Sat Apr 7 13:53:08 CEST 2012

bascule a écrit :
> On Thursday 05 April 2012 07:48:28 Philippe DIDIER wrote:
>> just try :
>> install snd-emu10k1-synth /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
>> snd-emu10k1-synth
>>
>> instead of :
>> install snd-emu10k1-synth /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1-synth
>
> thanks for replying, sadly this didn't make any difference, i've also tried
> running
> #bootloader-config --action rebuild-initrds
> becasue i read something about rebuilding the initramfs ?
> however i'm not really clued up on the specifics of the mageia boot process.
> anyway, i've now placed a simple
> /sbin/modprobe/ snd-emu10k1-synth
> in rc.local along with a soundfont load line and now i have midi after
> booting!
>
> bascule

You may perhaps try an other way :
It works with mandriva 2010.2 It may work with Mageia
I can't verify it for now ... my computer for production use is still
working with mandriva because of missing rpms in Mageia (aac encoding
stuff)...
and my experimental computer doesn't have a soundblaster card !

I didn't use the file  /etc/modprobe.d/sound

but two files :
/etc/modprobe.preload
/etc/modprobe.conf

I adapted them for you :

/etc/modprobe.preload file (with something for realtime kernel that you
can comment with a # if you don't use a real time kernel)
# /etc/modprobe.preload: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
# this file is for module-init-tools (kernel 2.5 and above) ONLY
# for old kernel use /etc/modules

realtime mlock=1 gid=81

snd-seq-midi-emul
snd-seq-virmidi
snd-emux-synth
snd-emu10k1-synth

/etc/modprobe.conf file : (add these lines if they don't exist, and just
modify the path to your soundfont file)
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
remove snd_emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove
snd_emu10k1
install snd_emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd_emu10k1
install snd-emu10k1-synth /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
snd-emu10k1-synth;/usr/bin/asfxload /etc/midi/8MBGMSCustom.sf2;

alias snd-card-1 snd_via82xx
alias sound-slot-1 snd_via82xx
options snd-via82xx index=1

Hope this will help !