[Mageia-discuss] Handbooks - the lot

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Tue Apr 10 16:55:32 CEST 2012

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:00:02 PM Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> On Sunday 11 Mar 2012 08:59 my mailbox was graced by a message from
> Dimitrios
>
> Glentadakis who wrote:
> > As when you get any product it comes with its manual, i believe that the
> > handbook of an application is a must have, and an application should
> > never be installed without its documentation.
>
> Some people do not need or want the doc.
>
> Having installed Mageia on an EeePC with 2GB total disk space (to have with
> me  when I travel) I certainly do not want to waste disk space with docs
> I'll probably never need, and which I can download and install in a couple
> minutes in case I really need them.

FWIW, my personal view is that the docs are often easier to access online.  At
least one app I use, installs HTML docs, but requires root privileges to
access them.

I can see the philosophical point about "the instructions come with the
product," but practical considerations should come first.  Often a man page is
enough, and the Debian project seems to have written man pages where the
original package lacks them.

Doug.