[Mageia-discuss] Handbooks - the lot

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 11 13:47:51 CEST 2012

2012/4/11 Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl>:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 06:17:32AM -0400, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
>> On Wednesday 11 Apr 2012 05:35 my mailbox was graced by a message from Olav
>> Vitters who wrote:
>> >  I don't see how excluding documentation makes things more practical.
>>
>> As in "more practical to have diskspace available for data, than have it used
>> up by documentation I will not need" ?
>
> You're speaking about yourself. I am speaking in general. How is it more
> practical that the documentation is not available? You raise disk space.
> I see that as a benefit if you have a small amount of disk space. But I
> don't see how that makes not including documentation practical. Might be
> practical to have the installer automatically detect a small amount of
> disk space and exclude documentation. But in general not having any
> documentation available is not practical at all; you have to rely on an
> internet connection, hope that the documentation is available online,
> furthermore you have to search for it.
>
> Not installing documentation,  might be some reasons for it, but
> 'practical': I don't see it.

The question whether having documentation ready or not is based on
individual preferences, there is no general consensus about that as
you pretend when you claim to "speak in general". At least this is
what this thread told us. In my understanding the point of this whole
discussion is to find a way to cater to both sides, (A) having
documentation ready if you want it but also (B) being able to *easily*
avoid it if you don't want it. At the moment this issue is not solved
for (A) AND (B), only for (A).

--
wobo