[Mageia-discuss] Handbooks - the lot

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Wed Apr 11 14:10:43 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 01:47:51PM +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> 2012/4/11 Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl>:
> > On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 06:17:32AM -0400, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> >>
> >> As in "more practical to have diskspace available for data, than have it used
> >> up by documentation I will not need" ?
> >
> > You're speaking about yourself. I am speaking in general. How is it more
> > practical that the documentation is not available? You raise disk space.
> > I see that as a benefit if you have a small amount of disk space. But I
> > don't see how that makes not including documentation practical. Might be
> > practical to have the installer automatically detect a small amount of
> > disk space and exclude documentation. But in general not having any
> > documentation available is not practical at all; you have to rely on an
> > internet connection, hope that the documentation is available online,
> > furthermore you have to search for it.
> >
> > Not installing documentation,  might be some reasons for it, but
> > 'practical': I don't see it.
>
> The question whether having documentation ready or not is based on
> individual preferences, there is no general consensus about that as
> you pretend when you claim to "speak in general". At least this is

That is not what I was after.

I said that minimizing disk space is a preference. A way to achieve that
is to exclude documentation. Minimizing disk space might be practical in
some cases. But that doesn't mean that if by default / in general / for
everyone the documentation is excluded, that this exclusion is somehow
logical. Or: A -> B doesn't mean B -> A.

> what this thread told us. In my understanding the point of this whole
> discussion is to find a way to cater to both sides, (A) having
> documentation ready if you want it but also (B) being able to *easily*
> avoid it if you don't want it. At the moment this issue is not solved
> for (A) AND (B), only for (A).

Seems you're just repeating what I suggested: if there is a need, check
if it can be possible.

At the moment the only concern seems to be disk space. If that is the
only reason, just do it automatically and/or have a special disk space
concious section. Fully analysing why to exclude would allow that will
ensure it is there when expected, instead of just being an option you
have to search for.

--
Regards,
Olav