[Mageia-discuss] Handbooks - the lot

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Wed Apr 11 15:33:19 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 02:23:36PM +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> > Seems you're just repeating what I suggested: if there is a need, check
> > if it can be possible.
>
> Hmm, Obviously we are talking about different things. I thought I
> clearly showed that there is a need and that the topic of thei thread
> is to find a solution.

The thread is just a request to exclude documentation. IMO the real need
is unclear (not only disk space apparently). If you fulfill every
request right away, you'll end up with a lot of options. Better to
analyse why something is asked and provide that. Gives a better
experience than just another option somewhere.

> > At the moment the only concern seems to be disk space. If that is the
> > only reason, just do it automatically and/or have a special disk space
> > concious section. Fully analysing why to exclude would allow that will
> > ensure it is there when expected, instead of just being an option you
> > have to search for.
>
> No, disk space is not the only reason but the most prominent. For the
> rest of this paragraph I have no clue what you are talking about.
> Either it's the language barrier or maybe my lack of tech
> understanding.

I mean that is is better to know more than "exclude documentation". That
is just a request, but I don't get why it is made. E.g. if the sole
reason would be to minimize disk space, then the most logical thing is
to include this where disk space is handled.

I'm not talking technical, but more use cases.

E.g. yesterday one of my disks was full. I could easily resolve, but
once you understand that one of the reasons for the exclusion of
documentation is disk space, then you can put intelligence to exclude
documentation not only in the Mageia installer, but also in the
notification of not enough disk space (you could have an option to
remove the documentation on disk). Similarly, if I move to a bigger
disk, I might want to easily reinstall the documentation that was
manually removed.

Now if the only possibility to exclude documentation was in the Mageia
installer, then such an installer option doesn't really help when you
lack disk space later on.

Hope you're getting what I am after.

Btw: I am not trying to do anything near "stop energy", just want to
understand the use case better. The "why" is what I am after.

--
Regards,
Olav