[Mageia-discuss] beta2 woes and no graphical root (tonyb)

R James upsnag2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 05:36:40 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM, TJ <andrewsfarm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/12/2012 10:05 AM, Rolf Pedersen wrote:
>
> OK, you win. I wouldn't want to destroy all of Linux just because I might
> want a bit of convenience.

What I"m about to tell you may destroy all of Linux or it may provide just
the convenience you need:

# sed -i 's/user != root//' /etc/pam.d/kdm

# sed -i 's/AllowRootLogin=false/AllowRootLogin=true/'\
 /var/lib/mageia/kde4-profiles/Default/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

# service dm restart

I'm not an official representative of Mageia so if this information leads
to the end of humanity, mageia.org cannot be held responsible. :o)

BTW: I've done some silly things by mis-typing in a terminal as root
or forgetting that I *am* root in an xterm window on my regular user's
desktop. When logged into a bright red IceWM session, I tend to be
more careful. Once a new system is set up, I rarely use it though.

Have fun - RJ

"Unix was not designed to stop its users from doing stupid things,
as that would also stop them from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn