[Mageia-discuss] can bootable partitions be detected during installation?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed May 2 15:54:04 CEST 2012

2012/5/2 blind Pete <0123peter at gmail.com>:

>> Have I missed an installation option?  Should this be a feature
>> request - or a bug report?  M2b3 "lost" my Ubuntu installation.
>> It was a quick and easy thing for me to recover from, but it could
>> torment a newbie.
>
> I think a bug report about not finding Ubuntu.

No bug report necessary because the reasons (grub / grub2) are known
and will not be fixed.

> blkid  /dev/sdaN -o export | grep LABEL
> if [ 0 == $? ]
> then
>    title $(blkid  /dev/sdaN -o value | sed s/\ .*//)
> else
>    title /dev/sdaN
> root (sd0,N-1)
> chainloader +

Nice. But at which moment/occasion would you need that? Only once when
you install the distribution which you think will stay the longest and
whos bootloader will go into MBR. After that you don't need it any
more because you will have to add new distributions manually to the
list.

--
wobo