[Mageia-discuss] About routers and switches and Mbit/s

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Fri May 4 23:49:16 CEST 2012

Le 2012-05-04 16:39, Frank Griffin a écrit :
> On 05/04/2012 04:19 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
>> My question is, if we are wired for 1000 Mbit/s should I be purchasing
>> router and switches that work at this speed. I have quite frankly
>> never really worried about this as our speed was quite decent.
>
> What you need to do is compare the speed of your router/switches to the
> speed your ISP gives you. Typically, the ISP speed is the bottleneck.
> The faster router/switches can only exceed the ISP's bandwidth when
> you're going from machine to machine in your house, which may be worth
> it if you do a lot of large file transfers.

My ISP serves "downloads up to speeds of 6Mbps" ... I also realize the
if using DSL that is all depends on the location of the house and telco
hardware.

> And, of course, even if you upgrade the router/switches, any particular
> system with a slower NIC won't see the benefit unless it upgrades as well.

All of our NIC's are gigabit NIC's.

So would it be worthwhile to upgrade to gigabit router/switches.
Actually, now that I think of it, we do use my computer as the music
server for the house ... we have 5 computers on the go at all times. I
don't sleep much. :-)

Marc