[Mageia-discuss] page of Mageia in wikipedia (in english) has been deleted

Macxi terraagua at gmail.com
Fri May 18 19:11:43 CEST 2012

Em sex 18 mai 2012, às 11:57:31, Doug Laidlaw escreveu:
> I will leave it to you.  Perhaps the objections can't be sustained; I
> didn't see the original pages.  But they suggest that standards were
> not met.  Being on a list where these things are talked about, will be
> an advantage, of course.
>
> Doug.

Doug,

Thanks for talking with me about this. I will continue talking with you, I just
commented that I am discussing there too.

I think that the text of Mageia (in English) in Wikipedia is no longer available
on the Internet, nor googlecach.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lD4ffNLZEUUJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mageia+http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mageia&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk

I copied the text of the page Mageia-en (at googlecach) when it was still
available, some days ago. This can help rebuild the new page.

Cheers
Macxi

Wikipedia: Mageia - en

The webcache.google of page is here:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... en&ct=clnk

Mageia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's
deletion policy.
Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's entry on the Articles
for deletion page.
Feel free to edit the article, but the article must not be blanked, and this
notice must not be removed, until the discussion is closed. For more
information, particularly on merging or moving the article during the
discussion, read the Guide to deletion.
Question book-new.svg
This article relies on references to primary sources or sources affiliated with
the subject, rather than references from independent authors and third-party
publications. Please add citations from reliable sources. (February 2012)

For a topical guide to this subject, see free software.

Mageia Mageia Logo
Mageia 1
Mageia 1 with KDE SC 4.6
OS family Unix-like
Working state Current
Source model Free and open source software
Latest stable release Mageia 1 / 1 June 2011; 11 months ago
Latest unstable release Mageia 2 RC / 9 May 2012; 2 days ago
Available language(s) Multilingual[1]
Update method urpmi[2]
Package manager RPM
Kernel type Monolithic (Linux)
Userland GNU
Default user interface KDE Plasma Desktop / GNOME
License GNU GPL & Various others.
Official website

Mageia is the name of a non-profit organization and Linux distribution that was
founded in 2010. The Mageia organization manages and coordinates the
distribution, code and software hosting and distribution, builds system, and
carries out marketing, fosters communication and events. [3] [4]

The first release of the software distribution, Mageia 1, took place in June
2011.[3]

According to DistroWatch, Mageia is the 7th most visited Linux-based operating
system on their site as of April 2012 and it is the third most visited RPM-based
Linux distribution behind Fedora and openSUSE.[5]
Contents

1 History
2 Versions
2.1 Latest version
2.2 Development version
3 Goals
4 Name
5 See also
6 External links
7 References

History

On 18 September 2010, a group of former Mandriva employees and community
supporters announced that Mandriva Linux was being forked and a new community-
driven distribution would be created, called Mageia.[4] This action followed the
dismissal of most employees working on the Mandriva distribution when the
Mandriva-owned company Edge-IT was liquidated. The group explained that they "do
not want to be dependent on the economic fluctuations and erratic, unexplained
strategic moves of the company".
Versions

Mageia is released on a 9-month release cycle and each release is supported for
18 months.[6]
Latest version

The latest stable version is Mageia 1, released in June 2011.
Development version

The development version of Mageia is known as Cauldron and is what becomes the
next release of Mageia.[7]
Goals

The following goals were listed in the organization's announcement on 18
September 2010:[4]

Make Linux and Free and Open Source Software straightforward to use for
everyone;
Provide integrated system configuration tools;
Keep a high-level of integration between the base system, the desktop (KDE,
GNOME, etc.) and applications; especially improve third-parties (be it free or
proprietary software) integration;
Target new architectures and form-factors; and
Improve understanding of computers and electronics devices users.

Name

The term "mageia" — μαγεία in Greek — means "magic" in English. It is a
reference to Mandrake (the magician), the original name of the Mandriva
distribution (Mandrake Linux).[8]
See also
Portal icon Free Software portal

Mandriva Linux distribution
Mandriva, SA (corporation)
PCLinuxOS — another Linux Distribution based on Mandriva Linux
Unity Linux — a Mandriva-based distribution designed to be a base for end user
distributions.

External links

Official website
Mageia Wiki