[Mageia-discuss] Successful Install with some initial thoughts

peter.winterflood peter.winterflood at ossi.co.uk
Fri May 25 08:56:35 CEST 2012

Im also agreeing on the theme, dont like oxygen at all, but found installing the kde-oroa rpm (cant remember exact spelling) i was then able to select the familia M* theme in kde control pannel.

Regards peter (wintpe on forum)

Sent from Samsung tablet

AL13N <alien at rmail.be> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2012 16:14:27 -0400
> Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com> wrote:
[...]
> I agree with all Marc's comments, but perhaps he and I aren't typical
> (I am almost 70.)
>
> The choice of Window Decorations:  I don't like the Oxygen theme
> either, but it is the KDE standard.  Plastik is one of my favorites as
> well.
>
> The Cursor theme: Once again, this is standard.  I have changed to the
> blue version of Marc's White Glass.
>
> Nepomuk:  I am using XFCE.  I hate KDE's attempts to cover the screen
> with information popups.  I set aside .75 of a Gig for a Home Directory
> in my test setup, running KDE. 630 MB of it is used up in hidden
> directories, with 149 MB in Akonadi.  Long gone are the days when a
> whole distro would fit in 2 GB. When I do switch to KDE,
> indexing makes startup take about as long as in Windows. That should
> make the team at KDE happy!

Actually I too am of the same-ish opinion:

A. I don't like oxygen theme as well
B. Cursor theme blends too well indeed
C. Nepomuk, i often do stuff, and /home becomes huge, i don't really
need/want indexing. i wouldn't know what benefits it could have...

usually, i know where something is, and in the rare event that i lost
something, it could very well be on other PCs, so a find will do at that
time.

unless it also indexes the email and makes email searches faster, i won't
need it.