[Mageia-discuss] New theme?

Anne Nicolas ennael at mageia.org
Sun Jun 3 13:57:29 CEST 2012

Le 03/06/2012 13:37, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2012/6/3 Max Quarterpleen<bogusman222 at gmail.com>:
>>> What kind of theme (wallpaper, icons, plymouth, splash screen, window
>>> decorator, colors)?
>>

>> Yes.
>> But specifically a desktop theme. Window decorater, colors.
>> Icons we're going to work on separately. Probably using application-original
>> icons, but new icons for the drakxtools applications.
>> Wallpaper will probably be a contest again, but we'll have to think about
>> the details a little better this time...
>> Splash screen and Plymouth will just be an extension of the wallpaper, like
>> we did with Mga2.
>>

>>> If it is the window decorator, personally i prefer the every DE original
>>> choices.
>>

>> I can understand that, but we are aiming for a unified look. Nothing will
>> stop you from changing it, this will just be the default.
>>

>>> I think the distro is good to have its plymouth and splash screen , not
>>> other modifications from upstream.
>>>
>>> Please let users enjoy each Desktop flavors.
>
> Yes, this again is something related with individual taste.
>
> Many other distributions try to change looks, even functions of the
> original DE to have a unique desktop. But integrating the big 2 (KDE&
> Gnome) into the distribution's own look and keep it as original as
> possible and then make it look good together - this is also a
> separator from those other distributions. A nice example:
>
> At Berlin Linuxtag exhibition a visitor looked at Mageia 2 KDE (I did
> a standard installation with nothing customized to my own preferences
> yet). He played with it for a while, especially with the KDE
> functions. Then he  told us that in his opinion this is the best
> integration of KDE into a new distribution he has seen lately,
> especially the combination of the KDE looks with out corporate colors.
> The guy turned out to be the treasurer of the KDE project.
>
> This is what I meant - establishing a reputation of leaving the
> original as original as possible.
> This should at least taken into account: Do we really want our own theme?
>
> Of course there's nothing against our own theme as additionsl option.

Also I'd like to add that creating a brand new theme is *really* a long
and hard task. One of the strong point of Mageia is also having a common
theme for environnement which allows to have both Qt and gtk apps well
integrated. Such choice should be done also together with environments
maintainers

--
http://mageia.org