[Mageia-discuss] Samsung Printer driver and choice of "pdf" "PostScript" in print default

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sun Jun 10 00:24:11 CEST 2012

Hi TJ

Le 2012-06-09 12:01, TJ a écrit :
> I ran into this problem back in February with LibreOffice Calc and my HP
> printers. It was even more bothersome for me with Calc, as if you export
> part of a spreadsheet to pdf, the resulting document won't print
> correctly from any pdf reader where you can't tell it to auto-rotate the
> page, no matter what you do.
>
> Supposedly, if you go to /usr/lib/libreoffice/programs and run the
> spadmin script, you can change this default setting (for the printer,
> not the pdf export). That's the way LibreOffice set it up to work, as I
> understand it. In practice, with Mageia anyway, if the "Disable CUPS
> support" box isn't checked, the setting isn't permanent. But, if you
> disable CUPS support, you'll need to provide your own printer command.
>
> Interestingly enough, the problem didn't exist with the last Sun/Oracle
> version of OpenOffice, so you could circumvent the problem by installing
> and using that instead of LibreOffice. I haven't tried the new Apache
> version of OpenOffice yet, so I don't know if that still holds true.
>
> A workaround for individual files was to change the printer language
> setting for each document, then save the document to make it permanent
> for that document. You might have to make a small, invisible change in
> the document itself, like adding a character and then removing it, to
> trigger a proper save. I know it's a bother if you need to do it for a
> lot of files, but it's all I know to do.
>
> TJ

I have just posted the fix on the list. The problem is with the driver
that Samsung supplied with the printer. Samsung no longer supports the
driver and it looks like some of the dependencies that supported
landscape mode are no longer supplied with the newer Linux distributions.

Maybe your HP driver is also no longer properly supported? You may want
to visit the http://www.OpenPrinting.org (run by the Linux Foundation)
and see if someone has reported the same problem with your HP model's
driver.

Cheers,

Marc