[Mageia-discuss] Cannot unmount media as user

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Sun Jun 10 11:59:47 CEST 2012

Len Lawrence a écrit :
> Mageia 2 fully updated
> GNOME Classic
>
> This is probably a newbie question....  I am not sure when this
> started to happen but when, as a user, I try to unmount a USB drive
> via the desktop icon I am told that I am not authorized to perform
> that operation.  After browsing bugzilla and the forums it looked like
> the best way to get past this would be to use sudo.  However, editing
> the sudoers file always throws up a syntax error.  I have tried
> various commands based on examples but cannot get any to work.
>
> e.g.
>
> ALL /bin/umount NOPASSWD
> %users /bin/umount NOPASSWD
> %users localhost=/bin/umount NOPASSWD
>
> What is the correct recipe?  RTFM only makes my old brain spin.
>
> Len

try :

%users ALL=/bin/umount NOPASSWD: ALL

or maybe :

%users ALL=/bin/umount device NOPASSWD: ALL

where "device" is whatever the usb drive is mounted as.
Not workable if "device" is variable.

Alternately, you could do :
su
(enter password)
umount ...

As to why you are having the problem :
It means that the drive was mounted with root privileges, or the
privileges of another user.
Thus it is requiring root privileges (or that of the other user) to unmount.

Was it plugged it when the system was booted ? That could cause it to
have root privileges.
Is it in a line the /etc/fstab file ?
(if so, you just have to add the option "users" in the comma-separated
list in the third position in the line.)

Or it could be a bug.

--
André