[Mageia-discuss] Reading payment forms with a scanner

Juergen Harms juergen.harms at unige.ch
Fri Feb 15 07:52:19 CET 2013

A positive remark about swiss banks! But errorproofness for swiss
payment slips is also quite relative: (a) the long reference digit
chains only have a very simple longitudinal 1-digit checksum that
catches many, but not all errors that happen if you key them in manually
and (b) all the OCR pograms that I have tested are far from perfect. And
yes, for some time I tried to use one of these portable devices - they
accumulate limited quality of scanning with limited quality of OCR
conversion: between handling and checking I spent more time than I need
for manual input and verification.

My recent error scenario illustrates this: my incorrectly keyed in digit
string happened to not trigger a checksum error, hence was accepted by
the ebanking system of my bank, but was then rejected by the destination
bank because the string did not make sense to them.

In the meantime, I have hacked a kind of tool which both shortens the
time I need to prepare my payments and diminuishes errorproneness,
- it selects the area to read and adjusts parameters for xsane,
- increases the output of xsane by a factor of 1.5 (amazing how that
reduces the errors of OCR conversion),
- submits the result to tesseract,
- does some string processing,
- displays the corrected and the original strings (see attachment - bad
quality to limit the size of this email), ready for copy paste.

Looks very promising (and can be improved, I only spent half an
afternoon) - needs now to be assessed by really using it in
"production". Talking about generalisation - I see your arguments - does
only make sense once that provides positive results.

Generalisation: maybe the concepts I put to work allow to create similar
tools / adjust the one I have made. I live part of my time in Austria -
Austrian slips should not be too difficult to handle along such lines.
And, maybe the mandatory introduction of IBAN input will create an
incentive to banks to improve the readability of their slips.

Juergen