[Mageia-discuss] Can't I use a 3TB disk?

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Sat Feb 23 07:59:32 CET 2013

Johnny A. Solbu a écrit :
> On Saturday 23. February 2013 05.38, Norman Carver wrote:
>> People should also know that many 3TB drives now have 4k sectors
>
> How can one tell if this is the case?

fdisk -l /dev/sd*
gives both the logical and physical sector sizes at the top (along with
other global info), before listing the partitions.
It gives this info for both mbr and gpt partition tables.
But it only lists the partitions for an mbr partition table.

gdisk -l /dev/sd*
gives the logical sector size at the top.  (It might not indicate a
differing physical sector size, but in any case it is the logical size
which counts for OS addressing.  The physical size is explicitly
indicated inside gdisk.)
It lists the partitions for both mbr and gpt tables (and maybe other
formats).

Note : sd* should be sda or sdb or ... , according to the disk in question.

--
André