[Mageia-discuss] Question on the Mageia-3 GRUB2 readme file

Barry Jackson zen25000 at zen.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 23:34:39 CET 2013

On 22/01/13 17:39, Maurice Batey wrote:
> Trialling Mageia-3-Cauldron and considering the implications of moving
> to GRUB2 I have been looking at the most helpful README file at:
>
> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/grub2/current/SOURCES/README.
> Mageia?view=markup
>
>    One thing that puzzles me is in lines 59-61:

>        59 	To re-install GRUB 2 to the root partition and place the
> 	        core.img in /boot/grub2/i386-pc/
>        60
>        61 	# grub2-install --grub-setup=/bin/true /dev/sdXY
>
> Nowhere else in the document is "root partition" mentioned, so why does
> it say "re-install"?!
>
>    (Perhaps it just means "replace whatever is in the PBR"?)

Maybe it should say "To re-create core.img in the root partition" - I
may change that - thanks ;)
No - nothing is written to the PBR - only /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img
is written.
This has already been created during the package installation, hence the
use of "re-install" - just in case it's ever needed.