[Mageia-discuss] Charset

Gary Montalbine gmontalbine at cox.net
Mon Mar 11 00:43:04 CET 2013

I have this website:
http://knottsislandonline.com/kiscrapbook/index.html

I have just noticed my charset has changed to <meta content="text/html;
charset=windows-1252" in the new updates. My default is <meta
content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1". A random check of my html files
on my harddrive indicates all files were changed. This has happened
sometime in the last 2 weeks. There has been no change to the html files
on the web that are older than 2 weeks. I have no idea what charset
is/means or it's effect. I dislike anything that says "windows". When I
save a file with charset=ISO-8859-1" it is changed to
charset=windows-1252 when I reopen it. Apparently my editor is messing
up. How can I change the charset in all files and can someone recommend
a simple editor that might work better?

I am using Seamonkey as my editor and mageia2 with Firefox.
Thanks, Gary